On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM, Manuel Braga <mul.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> (The subject has, CedarX is the name of the proprietaries libraries, and
> by so is not my business.)

My impression is that the name "CedarX" was initially used to describe the
video engine, and then was reused for the closed-source libraries.
Otherwise, the video engine found in most (all?) of the A-series SoCs
would be unnamed?

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2015 12:39:22 +0200 Simos Xenitellis
> <simos.li...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Would it make sense then to just focus on V4L2?
>> I did not find an initial driver for V4L2. I would think the first
>> step would be to have a driver that just detects the presence of the
>> video engine hardware and report any details that the hardware can
>> provide.
>>

> As said we have for more than 1 year all the information(from reverse
> engineering) need to start, meaning that we could have already a V4l2
> driver in somewhat functional state by now. If only there was more
> support.
>
> I took the task to start this driver, but every week there are only
> distractions, that hit hard in the motivation.

The very first step would be a minimal kernel module that detects whether
the existence of that video engine.
What I do not know is if there is need for information on how to do
this detection,
how to find if there is a version number for the video engine,
and how to enumerate the capabilities.

If that information is still missing, then it's something to ask for.

> And this last weeks are a very good example, to see this huge disregard
> of the software licenses used. Makes me wonder how in the future the
> license of this v4l2 driver will be handled.
>
> It's very simple, if you all want a proper mainlined driver for this
> video engine, then you all should "support" the people working to make
> this a reality.

There is some noise that will make the whole task a tad more difficult.
In addition, there is the issue that it might require more plumbing to get
the full benefits of a V4L2 driver in the apps.
I understand that at this early stage, it is quite difficult to estimate
how big this project will be and what other difficulties may appear.

I think it would help if it would be possible to implement for starters
just one aspect of the video engine, whatever is the easiest.
For example, compression of still images? encoding of audio streams?
I am not sure what information is missing; if Quink can be directed
to do this initial task, I think it would be an important milestone.

Simos