Hi,

On 14-06-15 13:31, Boris Brezillon wrote:
Roy, Yassin,

On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 13:35:04 +0200
Roy Spliet <r.spl...@ultimaker.com> wrote:

Hello Yassin,

Op 08-06-15 om 12:48 schreef Yassin:
Hi Roy
Thank you for working on this, I would like to suggest if you could implement
separate control commands to switch ECC and Randomisation modes per partitions.
I know this is not the best approach but it will provide more controls.
Thanks for the suggestion. However, for now I do not see the immediate
need for this in U-boot. U-boot should really only care about one thing:
load Linux. Therefore, the only partition it needs to be able to read is
whatever partition is used for storing boot data on. And if we only care
about one NAND partition, we don't need per-partition settings.
I agree that it would be nice to have eventually, but I think this
problem first needs to be solved in Linux properly. Then in U-boot we
can sync MTD up with Linux and we get the support we need "for free".
I'd personally recommend to take this approach over now first hacking up
all sorts of new commands in U-boot, as the latter will create more
problems with syncing up MTD and doing the right thing on the longer run.

Actually, the more I think about the more I agree with Yassin's
suggestion. We currently don't have any standard way to attach a
specific setting to a partition (even in Linux, and I hope I'll be able
to work on this aspect soon).
So for now, I really think we should reuse the existing/standard way of
declaring partitions in u-boot (mtdparts + mtdids variables + the
mtdparts command) and a sunxi specific commands to configure the ECC
and Randomizer config.
Once we have settled on something in Linux, we will be able to port it
to u-boot and get rid of these sunxi specific command, but in the
meantime this will allow us to boot a linux kernel (and even flash an
SPL) from u-boot without introducing heavy changes in the u-boot MTD
layer.

Ack, note we do not even need any sunxi specific commands, we will
have separate nand code for the SPL and uboot itself, since the SPL
needs a simple mini read-only implementation. So we can compile the
parameters for the boot block vs the rest into the spl resp. uboot
binary directly.

Regards,

Hans