On Sun, 2015-10-11 at 13:36 +0300, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 10:54:32 +0100
> Ian Campbell <i...@hellion.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > (adding some CCs of people who I think might be in a position to do
> > this)
> >
> > On Tue, 2015-10-06 at 21:13 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > > Hello everybody,
> > >
> > > AFAICS the sunxi-tools "fel" utility rework is complete now, so
> > > how about tagging a new sunxi-tools upstream release (v1.3)?  I
> > > think that would make sense as the "fel" rework is a major step
> > > and having an "official" upstream release makes things nicer for
> > > distribution packagers.
> >
> > Yes please. While I can package a snapshot I'd much rather package
> an
> > actual release.
>
> Yes, a new tag can be easily created at any time.
>
> There is still an unresolved inconvenience related to Linux
> distributions arbitrarily renaming the tools when doing sunxi-tools
> packaging. It would be great if we could have a unification of the
> tool names just for the sake of ensuring that the documentation and
> howto guides can be easily used without confusing the users.

The Debian package (of v1.2-ish) has:
        install -m0755 usb-boot $(PKG)/usr/bin/sunxi-usb-boot
        install -m0755 fel $(PKG)/usr/bin/sunxi-fel
        install -m0755 fexc $(PKG)/usr/bin/sunxi-fexc
        install -m0755 bootinfo $(PKG)/usr/bin/sunxi-bootinfo

I'd be happy to put that together as a patch for upstream instead.

The current packaging does not install nand-part, fel-pio, jtag-loop,
 fel-sdboot or boot_head for various reasons (which I'd want to revisit
with v1.3). I'd be inclined to prefix them all with "sunxi-" too if I
were to install them.

> If we had a sunxi-tools maintainer, then that person could also
> make a release announcement with the list of changes since the
> previous tag.
>
> > For my part that just means a tag, no need for tarballs etc.
>
> This is a non-issue because github automatically generates tarballs
> for the release tags.

Great!

Ian.