Hi,

since I have an extra A20 board that doesn't have a specific purpose at the
moment, I thought I do some experiments with it and test performance and
reliability (among other things).
One of my tests involved overclocking the board at stock voltage (1.4V) to see
what the board can do. So I used cpufreq-ljt-stress-test and cpuburn-a7 as
mentioned on the wiki[1]. What surprised me, though, was that the stress test
neither runs for a very long time nor on both cores simultaniously. So, the
test results suggest that my board can do 1104MHz at 1.4V (I didn't try higher
frequencies because I didn't even expect that it would run stable at 1104 MHz
without raising the voltage).

But I'm wondering - how reliable are these tests actually? I would have assumed
that for the results to be meaningful it would be best to put as much stress on
the CPU as possible and do that over a prolonged period. And if you have
multiple cores, to put them under load simultaniously. It this assumption
wrong? Is such extensive testing neglible in real life?

Since I didn't trust the quick test, I quickly changed the script to to 600
iterations instead of 60. But, of course, that doesn't make it run on two
cores. So, while running cpufreq-ljt-stress-test, I also ran cpuburn-a7 in the
background which put both cores under load. The board still passed the test.

What kind of tests or setups do you use to determine reliable settings?

Thanks,

Timo

[1] http://linux-sunxi.org/Hardware_Reliability_Tests