On Monday, 12 October 2015 22:52:18 UTC+11, Piotr Król wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm trying to utilize method of flashing NAND used by CHIP developers [1]
> on
> my Cubietruck. In short they boot in FEL, write SPL, U-Boot and rootfs
> to RAM and then after booting to U-Boot write those information to NAND.
> This give ability to avoid {Live,Phoenix}Suit.
>
> Because CHIP u-boot based on 2015.07 release and it lacks DT for
> Cubietruck in private chat Boris suggested Hans sunxi-wip U-Boot tree
> [2]. sunxi-wip based on 2015.10-rc4 and I see a lot of difference with
> CHIP tree. I'm not sure what is exactly needed to enable NAND flashig on
> Cubietruck.
>
> One thing that is missing in sunxi-wip but used by CHIP is sunxi_nand
> config command, second is suxi_nand_spl.c. But I would like to avoid
> brainless porting of code that can lead nowhere. Especially that I don't
> know what it exactly does.
>
> What I tried so far:
>
> * booting sunxi-wip using FEL - works fine
> * successful nand write of padded and not padded SPL - at least it
>   returens OK
> * nand write of U-Boot [3]
>
> CT NAND chip is H27UCG8T2ATR-BC (Page Size : 8192 + 640(Spare), Block
> Size : 2M + 160K bytes).
>
> Unfortunately after reboot nothing happens no single message from SPL.
> When
> trying after SPL write U-Boot I get [3].
>
> Did anyone tried nand write on Cubietruck ? If yes then how it was tested
> ?
> Any reason why despite no errors during nand write SPL was not flashed?
> Or any reason why flashed SPL doesn't boot ?

I wrote CT_NandBoot (referred to above) which can write the boot blocks
(boot0 and boot1) which might help you.  Recently I've been playing with a
modified sunxi-nand driver for the 3.4 kernel that can read and write the
boot blocks.

But writing boot0 is not enough.  It has to be customised to contain the
DRAM specs, NAND GPIO specs, and the NAND chip ID.  I presume Livesuit does
this when loading a board.

If you just want to avoid Livesuit then perhaps bootfix (the CT_NandBoot
program) will suffice.  I added a feature where you can supply the
partitions and it will create the NAND MBR and download the partitions
after loading the boot blocks.

Cheers,
Steven