> If I'm not mistaken is the Mali400 an OpenGL ES 2.0 GPU without
> support for regular OpenGL. Glxgears, however, is an OpenGL tool. So
> regardless of if the Lima driver is working or not, you'll never see
> a performance boost in Glxgears. Same for most Desktop Enviroments
> which are (when packaged by the distro's) by default compiled with
> only OpenGL support. Regarding you mouse cursor; I'm not sure if Lima
> contains any sort of 2D acceleration. The sunxi-mali drivers for
> mainline didn't.

This does look like there is at least some compatibility support with
OpenGL 2.1 in Mesa:

>>  Max core profile version: 0.0
>>  Max compat profile version: 2.1
>>  Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
>>  Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0
>> OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 20.0.8 OpenGL shading language
>> version string: 1.20

I would expect that Mesa does some work behind the scenes to emulate
OpenGL 2.1 compat profile on top of the available accelerated profile
(ES3). But that emulation may not be very good.

FWIW, glxgears is a terrible benchmark and not really suited for modern
GPUs, because it relies on the fixed-functionality pipeline of OpenGL
1.1. This needs some sort of emulation on nearly *every* modern GPU -
and that emulation may or may not be good.

> You can however try the 'es2gears' demo from mesa/demos

That sounds like a good starting point.

There is also https://github.com/glmark2/glmark2 which specifically
targets OpenGL 2 and ES2. Try both, maybe?