Dear *all*,

I'm building a linux system for the *Olimex A13SOM *module. This little
module comes
with the *Allwinner A13 SOC*. In the past we have been using other modules
with the
*Allwinner A20 SOC* and the old sunxi-linux kernel in order to have support
for all
the SOC peripherals (as the Video Engine decoder, Mali GPU, etc)

This time we would like to use a *mainline kernel*, taking into account
that by now
almost all peripherals are supported in mainline. We have had luck tunning
device
tree (as we were used to use .fex files) and by now we can have *Ethernet
over SPI*,
*Can interface over SPI*, *ALSA audio output*, *LCD RGB video output*, *Cryto
engine* to
generate fast entropy, *OpenGL ES support* (thanks to LIMA driver and
Mesa3d libs)
and so on... but we would like also to have *video decoding support*.

We have turned on the frontend, backend, video engine in the device tree,
build
the kernel with *Cedrus V4L M2M driver*, *libva_vl42_request* and
*v4l2_request_test*.
(and also set the CMA memory allocation, environment variables, etc)

Using *vainfo* everything is ok, the linux driver-libva request part works,
but then
we check with *v4l2_request_test* utility and it fails as there is *no DRM
support* on
our system. We have on the system */dev/video0* and */dev/media0* but no
*/dev/dri/card0*
device (in fact we selected the linux *sun4i-drm driver* but no message
appers on the
boot sequence regarding this, even when build as module it happens
nothing...)

We have checked the *Cedrus driver information* and appears to be *no
support for the*
*DRM plane in A13 SOC* (broken/missing) and as I understand that means that
part of
the picture composing work should be done by software (and that's not
reliable)

My question is: *is there DRM plane support for A13 SOC*? (as time goes on
I checked
there has been work done in the mainline kernel and fixes made) Then, in
case of no
support, *are there plans to add this support in the future*? and finally,
*could
we*
*play video files without this DRM support*? *by what means*?

*Thanks in advance for your help and your time*, your team have made a*
wonderful*
*work*. I also apologize for my poor English, and for writing this email as
maybe this is
not the proper way to issue this questions, but didn't know other way 🙂

Best Regards,
*Sergio Sota*