On Tue, Jul 9, 2024 at 2:33 PM Oleg Nesterov <o...@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > In this case we a) assume that user-space tries to fool the kernel and
> >
> > Well, it's a bad assumption. User space might just be using fibers and
> > managing its own stack.
>
> Do you mean something like the "go" language?

No, I think it was C++ application. I think we have some uses of
fibers in which an application does its own user-space scheduling and
manages stack in user space. But it's basically the same class of
problems that you'd get with Go, yes.

> Yes, not supported. And from the kernel perspective it still looks as if
> user-space tries to fool the kernel. I mean, if you insert a ret-probe,
> the kernel assumes that it "owns" the stack, if nothing else the kernel
> has to change the ret-address on stack.
>
> I agree, this is not good. But again, what else the kernel can do in
> this case?

Not that I'm proposing this, but kernel could probably maintain a
lookup table keyed by thread stack pointer, instead of maintaining
implicit stack (but that would probably be more expensive). With some
limits and stuff this probably would work fine.

> > > Not really expected, and that is why the "TODO" comment in _unregister()
> > > was never implemented. Although the real reason is that we are lazy ;)
> >
> > Worked fine for 10+ years, which says something ;)
>
> Or may be it doesn't but we do not know because this code doesn't do
> uprobe_warn() ;)

sure :)