On Tue, 1 Oct 2024 11:35:53 +0200
Ard Biesheuvel <a...@kernel.org> wrote:

> All I am asking for is a line in the documentation that says that
> clobbered trace buffers could occur at any time, regardless of whether
> CONFIG_RESET_ATTACK_MITIGATION is enabled or not. That way, we have
> something to refer to when people start filing bugs against the EFI
> component when this breaks.

How about if I change the comment to this?

        Note, saving the trace buffer across reboots does require that the
system
        is set up to not wipe memory. For instance,
CONFIG_RESET_ATTACK_MITIGATION
        can force a memory reset on boot which will clear any trace that was
stored.
        This is just one of many ways that can clear memory. Make sure your
system
        keeps the content of memory across reboots before relying on this
option.

Would that be better?

I want to stress that this doesn't work for every setup. It just so happens
to work for mine and others. I do not want people thinking that it's a bug
if it doesn't work for them.

-- Steve