Another option is to keep maintaining both UHCIs for now,
and choose one as the start for a new one that will kick
off the 2.5 UHCI work (which I'm assuming will try hard to
share HCI code with at least OHCI and EHCI drivers).

Although "uhci" works best for what I've tried, I'm not
sure there's agreement that "usb-uhci" could vanish yet.

Well, I'm nearly ready to post a pci_pool patch.  It works for EHCI,
and I'll post it along with OHCI updates.  I think the "right thing" would
be for Linux (or at least the USB subsystem :-) to converge on one
solution to that problem, and I think I heard basic agreement that
a pci_pool API was a good 2.4 thing so long as it didn't expose
bus_to_virt functionality directly.

The PCI DMA patches seem to come in several natural batches.  An
early one is useful in its own right:  make USB work again with the
CONFIG_SLAB_DEBUG option enabled.  I suspect that milestone
would have a few fans!

- Dave