[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

... snip snip ...

> Yup.  At leat the Edgeport data suggests that the latency I am seeing
> isn't inherent to USB.  I'm still wondering if it is somehow tunable
> though.

I have spoken to Ty about this seperately but to keep the information in
the list in case someone else needs it.

According to FTDI the 8U232AM will return packets every 16ms unless its
buffer fills (62 bytes minimum) - in which case it will send the packet
immediately. The old SIO device waits 40ms.

This is not tunable with their current devices. Tunable latencies is on
their list for their next devices.

It is possible to set an 'event character' which will send the buffer
immediately - but you can only set one character which limits it's
usefulness.

P.S.

I still looking at the funny data characters you are getting (and the
large packet stuff). (I am glad I left the driver as experimental! the
pilot-xfer software isn't very demanding :-)

--
Bill Ryder               SGI New Zealand
Systems Engineer                                 Ph: (+64 4) 494 6326

DISCLAIMER: Unless explicitly stated all opinions are mine not SGI's