Joseph Carter wrote:

> I have a USB keyboard made for a mac which features two dead keys which
> showkey and xev do not see - the power button and the numeric keypad's =
> key.  Are these keys not seen at the driver level or at the hardware
> level?  If the former, a patch to the HID source should make those keys
> mappable if suitable scancodes can be found for them.
>
> Has anyone tried to get these keys working and been successful on a wintel
> class machine?
I can get all of the "extra" keys on my keyboards, with UHCI and OHCI on a
little endian machine. I think that the endianness issues have all been sorted
for HID, so I can't see that it would make any difference.
Can you confirm that they are not seen with event interface? Some keyboards
have this on a second interface, which may not appear as a keyboard. For
example, the following extract from /proc/bus/usb/devices on this machine.

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=1.5 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=045e ProdID=001d Rev= 1.11
S:  Product=Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=a0 MxPwr=100mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=hid
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl= 10ms
I:  If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hid
E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   3 Ivl= 10ms

Note the two interfaces.
So you need to check /dev/input/event0 and also /dev/input/event1 (evtest is
good, cat is OK), assuming that these are the only HID devices on your
machine.

Brad