> But I think that there are actually different applications for real queuing
> and using the next-stuff:

They're both "real" queuing though ... just at different levels:

> 1) Transfering data as fast as possible, with no turnaround time -> queuing

Queueing at the HC.  That's what QUEUE_BULK is for.  This
is a performance optimization -- very desirable, but optional
because driver correctness can't depend on it.

> 3) Execution of a pre-determined sequence ("program") of unspecified and
> possibly mixed URB-types without user intervention -> next-pointer

Queuing above the HCD ... and outside the device driver.

> 2) Automatic streaming without any user code (mainly ISO) -> next-pointer

That's still the case I have problems with.  The scheduling model seems
oddly different from the other periodic transfer type (interrupt), and it
seems like maybe the motivation is to support multi-buffering.  (So for
example one video frame can be processed while another is filling.)

- Dave