On Wednesday, 13. June 2001 23:12, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> > From: Wolfgang Mües <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Can you explain "timeout is in jiffies" to a user who don't know
> > anything about "jiffies" and "ticks" ?
>
> Wolfgang is trying his best to be difficult, so I am not
> replying to his trolling.

Pete,

I do this with intention: *you* as an old-fashioned linux
programmer - and many other here on the net - is knowing
very well what a "jiffie" is.

But all people who are new on linux programming and do not
know the ancient PC hardware any more, have no ideas of
these things. So if you don't document, you will make the life
harder for the young ones.

I am working with computers for 25 years now. I know
the "ticks" of the DOS timer (18 Hz), but I don't expect the Linux "ticks"
to be the same (because Linux is a 100% different source,
and because I think that no intelligent brain will use such a
big time unit in a multitasking system).
The word "jiffies" is totally meaningless to me.

Shure, I could "do my homework" and find out these things by
looking around deeply in the source code. But I simply don't
*want* to spend my time with such tasks, because I know I am
in a unique position to write a linux device driver for a set of devices
which no other person on the world can do because of lack of
information.

best regards
Wolfgang Mües