Hi,

Several months ago I made some noise on the linux-usb-devel mailing list
about wanting some ioctls added to usb/printer.c to be able to dynamically
change alternate settings, send a certain HP vendor-specific command,
and get more information about the peripheral, for the benefit of the
"ptal-mlcd" user-mode MLC/1284.4 daemon which is part of the HP OfficeJet
Linux driver (http://hpoj.sourceforge.net).  I have successfully
implemented the most important ioctls on my wishlist, and I'd like to
take this opportunity to invite folks to review and/or test my changes.
It's available at "http://hpoj.sf.net/download/experimental/linux-usb/";
in both complete-file and diff-against-2.4.12 formats.  While I think
it's a little premature to get these changes incorporated into an
"official" kernel, I would greatly appreciate any feedback on issues that
would prevent such an incorporation.

For the hpoj folks, I also checked into CVS some ptal-mlcd changes that
take advantage of the new printer.c functionality, especially to add
low-level I/O support for the HP PhotoSmart printers.  It would be
helpful for those who use ptal-mlcd in USB mode to try out these changes
and let me know of any problems.

(BTW, preliminary support for the photo-card readers on the HP PhotoSmart
printers and PSC 950 all-in-one is also now available in the hpoj CVS,
in case anybody with those models is interested in trying it out.)

David

-------------------

Here is a copy of the README file:

This is an update for the Linux USB printer.c driver for 2.2 and 2.4
kernels.  It provides ioctls to enable the CVS version of ptal-mlcd
(http://hpoj.sourceforge.net) to dynamically switch alternate settings
and parallel-port-style channels.  This allows ptal-mlcd to work over
USB with HP PhotoSmart printers and some DeskJets (9xx, 12xx), and it
fixes the problem where ptal-mlcd was needed in order to be able to
print to the LaserJet 1200 and 2200.

NOTE: If you use this version of printer.c with the 0.8 (not latest CVS)
version of ptal-mlcd, then you'll need to use the "proto_bias" fix
documented at "http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/todo.shtml";.

See http://hpoj.sourceforge.net/doc/ioctl_requests.html for more
information on these ioctls, not all of which are actually implemented
yet.

Files in this directory:
- README -- this file
- printer.c -- the hacked version of printer.c
- Makefile -- the makefile I use so I don't have to rebuild the whole kernel
- printer-2.4.12.c -- for comparison, the printer.c from kernel 2.4.12
- printer.c.diff -- a diff between printer-2.4.12.c and printer.c

-- David Paschal ([EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED])