hi

thanks all for replying.

both usb-irda and usb-ir load automatically
usb-ir tells me to use /dev/usb/ttyUSB0

ok , i do:
rmmod usb-ir usb-irda irda
modprobe usb-irda
irattach irda0 -s 1
irdadump

hotsync ... it works !!! ( irdadump shows palm III Irobex .... )

thank you very much
erez.

Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 12:29:36PM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> > Erez Doron wrote :
> > > hi
> > >
> > > i have linux rh-7.0 with kernel 2.4.16
> > > I have installed KC-180-usb-irda and linux automatically identified it
> > > and insmod the appropriate modules, telling me to use /dev/usb/ttyUSB0.
> > > i tried to open minicom with different baud rates on /dev/usb/ttyUSB0
> > > but got no date in or out. ( note that without the irda device, I
> > > couldn't have
> > > opened /dev/usb/ttyUSB0, so that is the right device).
> > >
> > > after I upgraded to 2.4.17pre8, i could see data incoming on
> > > /dev/usb/ttyUSB0 whenever I press hotsync on my palm III.
> > > so i ran slattach on that device and echo 1 >
> > > /proc/sys/net/irda/discovery.
> > > irdadump showed me the discovery frames I sent to the palm,
> > > but would not show me the frames i got from the palm
> > > ( though the discovery cycle stoppped whenever i pressed hotsync).
> > > note that tcpdump on irda0 gave the same as irdadump.
> > >
> > > can anyone help ?
>
> What module is getting loaded and telling you to use /dev/usb/ttyUSB0?
> Is it the ir-usb driver or the irda-usb driver?  It sounds like you want
> to run the irda-usb and not the ir-usb driver.
>
> >       Please ask the Linux-USB people, I'm not responsible for their
> > mistakes and I can't fix them. The Linux-USB mailing list is at :
> >               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >       Once the USB people have fixed their config files, just use
> > the standard procedure documented here :
> > http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/IrDA/IrDA.html#config
>
> What config file problem?  And what mistakes? :)
> I know there is two usb drivers that try to claim the same IrDA USB
> devices, but the Configure.help entry for the ir-usb driver tries to
> explain this "problem".
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

This message is for the designated recipient only, and will self destruct in 5
seconds,
Please Duck beforehand.