On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 11:39:00PM +0100, Gérard Roudier wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Martin Wilck wrote:
> > Just for curiosity about SCSI-4: If a SCSI-4 device answers an INQUIRY
> > (even with only 36 bytes), won't it identify itself as a SCSI-4 device,
> > thereby showing the driver that it should request more INQUIRY data?
>
> I already replied about this point.

Hrm... I apparently missed this reply.  At least, in my readings of your
messages, I don't see you addressing this point with anything other than
"all other probing mechanisms do it in a single command".  Could you please
elaborate on your position?

> > (Actually, it seems that Windows does 36byte INQUIRYs all the time.
> > To work with Windows, a SCSI-4 device must operate that way).
>
> If we just want free O/Ses to work as well or not better that Windows,
> then there is no interest in developing them in my opinion.

Of course I want free OSes to work as well as possible.  Right now, in this
particular area, Linux works _worse_ than Windows.  Clearly, that's
unacceptable.

And my comment about windows behavior (and I beleve Martin's also) are
meant to point out that (a) this mechanism must work anyway, because (b)
vendors are more often testing against the windows drivers rather than the
published specification.  We see this all the time -- hardware vendors
don't really care about the full spec -- they only want to work with
windows, and maybe MacOS.  The fastest way to bring compatibility with a
broad range of devices to Linux is to try to stay within the commonly-used
code paths on device firmware.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm just trying to think of a way to say "up yours" without getting fired.
                                        -- Stef
User Friendly, 10/8/1998