> What I am seeing when the problem occurs is this:
> busy -> nothing -> detect -> 1ms poll
>
> So it seems that the host end stops polling the device.

Actually what I saw in the logs was a device which timed
out lots of bulk reads at the link level because the ACM
device was not responding.

After that went on for a while, the hub driver detected
that the device had disconnected itself from the (root)
hub, and "acm.c" then cleaned up -- including that
interrupt transfer, which should have been polling at
128msec not 1msec FWIW.

What makes you think that the host stopped polling?
Or did you mean "sending SOF frame", which would be
a symptom of shutting down USB on that link?  (Maybe
due to some power drain problem, as a random guess.)

- Dave