It's a matter of avoiding typecasts everywhere.  We get a void*, and
we send void* on to other places.

If you look at one of the other patches I sent today, you'll notice that if
you apply it, you'll get warnings because of the disparity.

I guess we could fix it by switching everything to char* instead, if that's
the preferred way....

Matt