On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 09:51:41AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Ok, I've update my tree to the -bk level, and it's at:
> >     bk://kernel.bkbits.net/gregkh/usb/usb-2.5-bk
> >
> > Let me know if anyone has any problems with it, that aren't related to
> > the -bk level of the kernel :)
>
> Greg:
>
> There are so many different trees floating around, I can hardly keep them
> straight.  Apart from the one you mentioned above, there's Linus's
> linux-2.5 and Marcelo's linux-2.4 on linux.bkbits.net, and there's your
> usb-2.4 and usb-2.5 on linuxusb.bkbits.net.  Not to mention the files
> available at kernel.org.  My own repository is cloned from usb-2.5, is
> that the appropriate one?  (And how do _you_ keep them straight? :-)

It's the "appropriate one" depending on what you want to do :)
I use my own tree as it's easier for me to do so, and use Linus's tree
to send him patches from my tree.

And I am routinely lost in a maze of bk trees, all a bit different...

> Also, I don't understand the nomenclature used for these kernels.  What's
> the difference between 2.5.70 and 2.5.70-bk1, for example, and how do I
> tell which one I've got?  The EXTRAVERSION setting in Makefile doesn't
> contain anything.

The -bk patchsets are made nightly against Linus's bk tree.  They are
placed on kernel.org.  They provide a way for people who are not using
Linus's tree to keep in sync with him in a daily manner.

I'm starting to add in the -bk patches into my tree (that's the above
link) to keep up in sync with Linus's tree a bit easier due to the long
time between releases that has been happening.  I've not put the -bk
releases into the usb-2.5 tree yet, as I didn't want to disturb it
without knowing if the -bk imports would work well or not.

In short, I'll take patches against my tree, Linus's bk tree (the -bk
releases), or usually against a "clean" release (like 2.5.70).

Hope this helps,

greg k-h