Luca Risolia wrote:
Hello, I'd like to implement a "device_hint" module paramater in order to associate biunivocaly a /dev/videoX node with a specific camera. The problem is that _almost_ all the W996[87] devices have the same descriptors and no serial numbers.

So if you have several such cameras to choose from, you'll need a different way to distinguish them.

A possible solution would be to associate a node with the hub where the device is connected to, but I am not sure if this works, given that the same problem might happen with some hubs.

This is a good place to use the physical path info from usb_make_path(). It won't change unless you re-cable your USB device trees, so it's just as stable an identifier as a ttyN style ID.

- Dave