Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 10:48:22PM +0200, Oliver Neukum wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 6. August 2003 22:09 schrieb David Brownell:

Halt endpoints by doing a "wrong direction" I/O ... read from an IN endpoint
(instead of writing to the host), or write to an OUT endpoint (instead of
reading what it wrote).  This idiom avoids use of ioctls, and makes use
of a code path that would otherwise just return an error.

That is worse than an ioctl.

No.

Read and write should transfer data, not change status of an io channel.

Sounds like a valid thing for a special purpose fs to do (is simple, and
can be done in any language, and doesn't require special thunking ioctl
layer.)

That was exactly my thought: simple, works from any language, no-ioctls. Though I think the priority went the other way around; simple doesn't trump the other factors.

And why would you think that reading or writing wouldn't change the
state of an i/o channel?  :)

- Dave