Hi All,

I'm new to building Linux drivers but not new to device drivers, o I need
some specific help for the RedHat platform. I have RH 9 (2.4) installed and
setup for driver development. I have all the CD's.

I need to extract the kernel tarball to my home directory for development.
Where is the kernel tarball? I presume it is a kernel-xxx-xx-xx.tar.Z type
file? I have the RedHat 9 disks so I presume it is on one of them or on my
system already?

I have worked out how to build the drivers tree I think and I discovered the
binaries under the /lib directory. Once I have my driver's source code under
my own directory under usb/serial, how do I build it? Do I have to go and
add an entry for it to all the Makefiles and configuration files or can I
just write a Makefile for my single driver? Does someone have a development
Makefile for this purpose?

Ok, how do I go about getting 2.6 kernel? The auto-update application thingy
in RH gives me the option to update the kernel and sources to a later
version of 2.4, but not 2.6. I guess version 2.6 is still experimental?

How can I update the kernel and sources? Will this overwrite the sources in
/usr/src or add another directory and symbolically link to it? Will there be
a tarball somewhere I can then use to build my own development directory
from the 2.6 kernel?

Cheers and thanks for any help!

SAB.