I don't believe it is handwaving. The "user" comments might be, but the
actual answer is proven. THey may be other causes than mentioned though.

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Dmitri Katchalov wrote:

> Hi,
>
> "USB device not accepting new address"
>
> I keep getting these error messages. And looks like I'm not alone.
> I just did a quick google search on the subject and I've got about
> 6730 hits in google and about 1010 hits in newsgroups :(
> The answer in linux-usb.org FAQ is frankly just a lot of hand waving.
> Clearly there is a long-standing problem which needs to be addressed.
>
> I've got this Atmel AT76C503A based wireless USB adapter.
> There is a driver for this wireless card  (2 of them in fact), they appear
> to work with 2.4.18 kernel. Unfortunately running 2.4.18 kernel is not
> an option for me as I have a few other problems with it and I need
> some of the new stuff in 2.6.x kernel anyway. So I'm in the process
> of upgrading the driver to 2.6.x format. The adapter is a bit tricky in
> that it requires firmware to be downloaded first and then a reset.
> I've got the firmware downloading stage working and now I have
> this problem with reset. I have now disabled everything except the
> reset call and still I'm consistently getting the same error. Needless
> to say it works flawlessly with the 'other' OS.
>
> I'm all bent on making it work. I can spare some of my free time on it.
> I appreciate if someone can give me a hint on what may be the
> cause of the problem in technical terms.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitri

|Stephen J. Gowdy                     | SLAC, MailStop 34,       |
|http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~gowdy/ | 2575 Sand Hill Road,     |
|http://calendar.yahoo.com/gowdy      | Menlo Park CA 94025, USA |
|EMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]       | Tel: +1 650 926 3144     |