On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 09:57:06PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Sep 2003, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > Odd... why do we ask for the first 8 bytes of page 8?  The header alone is
> > > 8 bytes.... anyway, the response looks good.
> >
> > It tries to read the cache type. It tries to read the header first, in
> > order to figure out how much of page 8 it can read. The next command will
> > read the header, up to a maximum of 128 bytes.
> >
> > That 128-byte maximum is strange, since we actually have a buffer of at
> > least 512 bytes for it, but whatever.. The same device definitely can
> > handle this in EHCI mode.
> >
> > I'll try to change that max size thing (maybe it really always wants to
> > transfer just the header, or then the full page?), but regardless it looks
> > like OHCI is a bit fragile.
>
> Actually, turning the max size _down_ to 64 bytes fixed the babble
> problem. Don't ask me why, though.

Odd... but kinda expected, since the logs showed the first 64 bytes were
transferring properly.

> However, it does _not_ fix the more fundamental problem. Babble is gone,
> but now the trace looks like the appended..
>
> So it's not the babbling, but something _else_ with reading page 8 causes
> problems.

You say this worked with UHCI 'some time ago'?  Perhaps that was before all
this mode page 8 stuff got settled?

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I need a computer?
                                        -- Customer
User Friendly, 2/19/1998