On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Andrew Heaton wrote:

> I am trying to get a Freecom USB stick (0c76:0005) working with
> an embedded linux build based on 2.4.22.
>
> I'm having problems getting it working, so I put in some
> diagnostic code in my drivers submit_urb function to show the
> urb->setup_packet data being sent.
>
> When I insert the stick for the first time, I see a strange
> setup_packet going out (or attempting to go out - my USB chip
> sees it as an error and refuses to send it).
>
> The data is below. flags=urb->transfer_flags,
> length=urb->transfer_buffer_length, length2=urb->actual_length,
> packets=urb->number_of_packets, interval=urb->interval
>
> Incidentally, if I unplug the stick and plug it back in I don't
> get this odd setup_packet. I can do exactly the same with a USB
> CDROM, with the same behaviour. If I plug in the stick, unplug
> it, then plug in the CDROM I get another of these packets - so
> it appears it is only sent on the first plugging in of a
> particular device.
>
> Any ideas about what this is and why it's being sent? I don't
> think it's doing any harm, but it's a bit confusing.
>
> Andrew
>

> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 0 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 23 01 10 00 01 00 00 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 0 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 23 03 04 00 01 00 00 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 4 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A3 00 00 00 01 00 04 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 0 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 23 01 14 00 01 00 00 00

I don't recognize these peculiar commands.  They are vendor- or
class-specific.  They aren't generated by the standard USB stack; you must
have some customized driver loaded.  Even more strange, they appear
_before_ the device address has been set.  Is it possible that they were
meant for a different device, not the Freecom unit?

> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 0 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 00 05 02 00 00 00 00 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 8 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 80 06 00 01 00 00 08 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 18 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 80 06 00 01 00 00 12 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 8 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 80 06 00 02 00 00 08 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 39 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 80 06 00 02 00 00 27 00
> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 0 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data 00 09 01 00 00 00 00 00

These commands are standard set-address, get-device-descriptor,
get-configuration-descriptor, and set-configuration commands.  They do
come from the USB stack.  Normally they would be the first commands sent
to a newly-connected device.

> hci_submit_urb: flags 0 length 1 length2 0 packets 0 interval 0
> data A1 FE 00 00 00 00 01 00

Another peculiar non-standard command.