> So everybody who does not want to know how integers are represented
    > on the current architecture writes
    >     start = p[0] + (p[1] << 8) + (p[2] << 16) + (p[3] << 24);
    > And it just works.

    Really, do you think your statement is better, clearer, or less
    error-prone than this:

        start = get_be32(p);

    ?

I have been arguing that casts are bad. If get_le32(p) does not
involve a cast but is just an abbreviation of what I wrote above,
then of course I do not object.

Andries

[did you write be32 by mistake?]