On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 06:54:58PM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> > > As things stand now, we don't handle resets well.  A device can have
> > > multiple drivers bound to multiple interfaces; when any one of them
> > > requests a reset it will affect all the others but they have no way to
> > > know what's going on.  Likewise, if a hub is reset it automatically has
> > > the effect of resetting all the downstream devices, and the drivers need
> > > to know about it.
> >
> > Again, what's wrong with the current way of dropping everything and
> > starting over?  I think it's the only sane way, and our existing
> > interfaces handle it quite well.
>
> It kills error handling in the storage driver.

So what does the storage driver really want to do?  Reset the device?
Why, because some unknown error has happened or something else?

I can see why enumerating the whole device in this situation would be
bad, but I really don't see how starting over with the device would be
helpful either.

thanks,

greg k-h