On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, David Brownell wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
> > I call it excessive because I wonder if it's correct to feed a hotplug
> > event just because $USER_SPACE_PROGRAM has decided to open a
> > /proc/bus/usb/MMM/NNN device.
>
> Are you sure that's what's making it happen?  Or is your
> software maybe trying to set the configuration?  That would
> get rid of the old devices, and create new ones.

Something definitely is setting the configuration.  The interface
registration events are in the system log.

> Software that tries to change the device configuration would
> certainly cause lots of hotplugging.  Basically that's a bad
> idea.  There's a call to just _reset_ the configuration, that
> verges on reasonable ... for devices that only have a single
> driver on the device interfaces.

That's part of the problem.  Another part is that whatever program is
running as the hotplug agent is using timeouts of 0.1 seconds to read the
device and configuration descriptors.  It should be using something more
like 5 seconds.