On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Jens Benecke wrote:

> > It looks like it's a problem with the drive.  Each time the system tries
> > to read the extended partition table, it says it was just reset.  That
> > reset flag (technically called Unit Attention) is supposed to be cleared
> > when the device sends its status to the computer, but apparently it isn't.
>
> Oops. I have only used this disk from the Firewire connector before. Is it
> entirely possible that connecting it via USB might have trashed contents on
> the disk?

That's very unlikely.

> > However, the fact that it works okay with Windows means that the problem
> > is more complicated.  Without more information, though, I can't suggest
> > anything to try.
>
> Well, it worked with Windows, when I had the drive partitioned into two
> partitions, on my laptop with USB 1.1 and Linux 2.4.23.
>
> Then I found out about the 2.4 bug regarding large FAT32 disks. I upgraded
> desktop and laptop to 2.6 but didn't try to connect the disk (yet).
>
> Yesterday, after I unsuccessfully tried to use it with 2.6.5rc1bk2, I tried
> Windows XP again - and failed as well. Three completely different machines
> would not accept this drive - the same symptoms as in Linux (fast blinking
> access LED on the drive and the system was basically 100% busy and
> non-responsive).

Does it do that with the Firewire interface also?

> I really, really hope I didn't trash the contents of the partition =;)

Could be, but what you describe sounds more like a fault with the disk
controller or the media rather than the data.  That's not much better as
far as you're concerned, unfortunately.

In fact, even if you want to abandon that partition and start over fresh,
you won't be able to write a new partition table on the disk without
taking some drastic steps.  As soon as you plug in the drive, before you
can start to write the new partition table, your computer will try to read
the existing table and go nuts.