Max Zaitsev wrote:
 With regard to differencies in behaviour between the GL devices -- it might be
a consequence of differencies in the exact chip models and/or firmware versions. My device identifies itself as "P: Vendor=05e3 ProdID=0702 Rev= 0.02"

On the chip reads: GL811E
0341MH2QT-02

I'm beginning to believe it's most probably some strange timing quirk. I seem to remember Alan and David both mentioning timing at some stage.

The advantage of mine the way it is, is I have a 100% guaranteed way of tripping it every time.
The cross-sector boundary is not the only failure mode mine exhibits. It also locks up on insert quite a bit, but not reproducibly and when it does sometimes the 2.4.25 kernel oops' with some kind of hotplug race. It often depends if I insert the usb cable before the IDE disk has done it's init cycle. It's bloody flaky. My other enclosure that uses a Prolific chip works rock solid 100% of the time <sigh>

I now have a serial console setup so I can try and capture the oops anyway.

Next project is to start stuffing some delays in the usb stack and usb-storage module and see if I can settle it down.
It's nice having a reproducible failure mode anyway.

My device has GL811USB stamped on it. But it identifies it the same as yours in the above string. Rev= 0.02 also.

Off to do some testing now, hope to have some more results in the morning.

Regards, Brad

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: IBM Linux Tutorials Free Linux tutorial presented by Daniel Robbins, President and CEO of GenToo technologies. Learn everything from fundamentals to system administration.http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1470&alloc_id=3638&op=click _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe, use the last form field at: https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/linux-usb-devel