Christopher,

I assume you're talking about the following dev board:

http://www.arcom.com/products/icp/dev_kits/Linux/Java_VIPER.htm

The Viper Embedded Linux Developer Kit is based around an XScale
device, so it needs to use an Embedded USB Host Controller.  The
Philips ISP1161A1 is such an example.  An Embedded USB Host controller
is not the same thing as a standard desktop OHCI controller.  They have
similar registers but different interfaces to the CPU's Bus.  But the
long story cut short is, that you can't run any ohci driver for an
embedded host controller.

The good news is that there are several drivers for the Philips
ISP1161A1.  I'm not sure which version the Viper Embedded Linux Dev Kit
uses, but you might want to check the following URLs:

http://www.boundarydevices.com/usbpatch/ - Added dma support for PXA,
iso transfer types, chip reset to recover from chip bugs, and a general
restructuring.

Some Mailing Lists with references to ISP1161 - linux-arm-kernel and
uclinux-dev
http://lists.arm.linux.org.uk/pipermail/linux-arm-kernel/2003-May/015152.html
http://mailman.uclinux.org/pipermail/uclinux-dev/2003-November/022517.html

The boundarydevices.com patch might work "better" with your USB dongle.
 I'm not sure what USB transfer type your USB dongle uses, but the
driver you're using might not support it correctly, hence it might be
the cause of your problems.

Please let me and the list know how it goes...

Hasjim Williams
Master of Engineering (Comp Sys)
University of Queensland, Australia