Hello,

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 21:10, Alan Stern wrote:

> This is still relatively new and hasn't percolated down to the level
> of the hotplug scripts yet.  Nevertheless, in a hotplug script is the
> right place to do it.

Hmmmm... if I had a choice, I prefer choosing the configuration from
inside the kernel driver... because then there is _one_ place which is
doing all the stuff which is needed to set up the device correctly.

If the configuration can be set inside the drivers device table, and
find its way into the hotplug scripts automaticly, this will be
fine....

But fiddling the hotplug scripts by hand? This seems not ideal to me,
because these scripts are not distributed with the kernel...

> The script can write the configuration value to the
> bConfigurationValue file in the device's sysfs directory.  For
> example,
>
>   echo 2
> >/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:07.2/usb1/1-1/bConfigurationValue
>
> Of course, inside a hotplug script that long pathname would be
> available as an argument or an environment variable.

Thank you for this information.

The hotplug script is executed _before_ probe() is called? Even if the
driver is already in memory? And the sysfs is doing the
set_configuration() before probe() is called?

best regards
Wolfgang Mües