> i have an idea:
> usb is supported by linux kernel 2.4.20, can two
> computers communicate with each other if i write some
> driver(software) myself?

Sure.  Since you mentioned two systems, there are "host to host" adapters.
I'm not sure if kernel 2.4.20 has the required drivers, so it might require
an upgrade to something newer... check the USB Support section in kernel
compile options first!

http://www.linux-usb.org/usbnet/

Check out the "host to host" section.