On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:07:33AM +0200, Axel Waggershauser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1. looks like every byte transfered with your "fast usb" lib is
> memcopied at least two times: in your fusb*.cc code and in the usbfs
> kernel code, right? Meaning worrying about sg-list "optimized" drivers
> is sort of unnecessary...

You can optimize out one of the copies if the user is handing you
large requests.  ``Premature optimization is the root of all evil'' --
Our measurements using oprofile haven't indicated that it's worth
bothering with.  The overhead of the memory copy is much less than the
overhead of making the system call with smaller i/o blocks.  We
started with 4K transfers but the system overhead was considerably
greater than with 16K.

> 2. with your "bypassing" of the libusb by accessing the fd inside the
> usb_dev_handle and queuing multiple urbs at once, you do what Johannes
> meant by
>       > We can go even further by using multiple URBs and queuing
>       > them, but libusb doesn't currently do that.

That's correct.

> 3. if I would use your fusb* code in a proprietary app, I would clearly
> violate the GPL, right?

I'll get back to you on this, though in general, I don't believe that
linking with a GPL library necessarily causes a problem.

> 4. would it be possible to somehow migrate your fusb code/ideas into
> libusb (changing from GPL to LGPL), thereby allowing me to profit from
> that code? I would be glad to help here (my only option is to write
> yet-another kernel driver :-/). Maybe this could be combined with what
> Duncan Sands just posted, namely to use sg-lists to avoid the
> unnecessary memcopies to further increase performance?

Eric