On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:17:20 -0800, Randy.Dunlap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > i've tried unloading hid, but u know what? It always loads itself (by
> > modprobe, i suppose) in the end when i plug in my mouse.
> > /proc/bus/usb/devices tells me that. My custom module (hacked from
> > usbmouse.c) does load (the printk code from the init function tells me
> > that) - but it does not get bound to the mouse, and no other functions
> > in the module (i have printk code everywhere) get called.
>
> You'll need a kernel that has no HID support built for it
> (no modules and not built-in) then.

so u're saying there's no way to come up with a driver to wrestle
control away from the hid code, unless the kernel does not have the
support for the hid?

> So you don't have /home in a separate partition?
> If you do, reinstalling isn't a big deal.
> At some point, put /home in a partition so that you can tell
> your installer program not to format the /home partition.
> Then installing a new/upgraded distro is easy.

thanks Randy, but could we just leave this discussion of upgrading
behind? i'd like to focus on the driver problem instead, if u dont
mind. But i do appreciate ur help so far with regards to this.

-jf