On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Daniel Drake wrote:

> I'm fairly new to this and am not too sure on the distinction between ATA and
> ATAPI. I'll have to do some reading up, but thanks for the suggestion :)

ATA was the original protocol used for hard disk controllers.  ATAPI was
an extension that added support for "Packet" commands.  Hence the name:
ATA plus "Packet Interface".  These used the ATA hardware but were a
completely different command set, basically duplicating the SCSI commands
sets.  The intent was to allow cdrom drives (which were originally
designed as SCSI devices) to work over the IDE (= ATA) interface.

> > Again, I'm stymied without the specs.  Is there some ATA-level command you
> > can use to find out whether a device supports ATAPI?
>
> I'm not sure, but I don't think this would help much: both the hp8200 and the
> flash readers use the ATA/ATAPI transport. Or are you suggesting that the
> hp8200 implements ATA but not ATAPI?

Well, the IDENTIFY PACKET DEVICE command looks relevant.  Beyond that, you
need to rely on appropriate packet commands.  INQUIRY is implemented as a
packet command; it might be the one you need.