On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 04:24:00PM +0200, Boris Dinkevich wrote:

> It seems like removable usb devices in windows get formatted without a
> partition table
> (I can't even create partitions on removable devices).
>
> Problem is, Linux seems to expect a partition table, and just reads garbage
> of windows formatted media..

[this is not an usb question]

Windows can handle removable usb devices with and without partition table.
It is quite common for Compact flash and Smart Media cards to have
a partition table.

Linux is rather eager in trying to recognize a partition table even when
none is present. However, I seem to recall that I submitted a patch to
improve this behaviour a little. Remains the question: (i) what kernel
are you using? (ii) what is the contents of the first 512 bytes of your
device?

Andries