On Sul, 2005-01-23 at 05:43, Greg KH wrote:
> But as you already have physical access to the machine, it's quite easy
> to comprimise it in other ways, so "hostile" USB devices aren't really a
> pressing issue.

This is becoming the most worn out security myth on the planet.

Physical access in many environments is very different to the ability to
do harm. In many office environments you can't take the PC apart without
people noticing while nobody would consider a USB key hostile.

The university threat model is also based on my experience on physical
access being non-compromising because the systems are locked shut and
fastened to alarm cables. They have BIOS passwords and forced boot
orders.

Hostile USB devices are a threat, the rest is just sloppy Windows world
excuses. That said everyone (not just Greg) needs to be looking for USB
driver code that does trust the messages from the driver and *fixing*
it.

The big danger is probably not so much DoS cases which are a nuisance
certainly but stuff that trusts device provided information for things
like buffer sizes
or "knows" devices won't provide too much data.

Any kiddie with a cheap USB dev kit can knock out an attack tool
nowdays.

Alan
(Be glad you don't have firewire... 8))