> > Hi,
> >
> > In a  Mass Storage Device, if a physical block is damaged, and one or
> > more logical blocks are lost, must the device remap the logical blocks
> > to different addresses? What are the alternatives(you might not have
> > more spave in the physical memory).
>
> The device is not obliged to do anything when a block is damaged.  But if
> you want to remap the block, that will make your device more reliable.
> Especially if you are able to save the data by remapping before the old
> block has failed completely.

I simulated a block error doing this: when the host tries to read one
specific logical block, I change some bytes. The I try two things:
1) Just returns the number of bytes the host expects and finish with
no erros. The host just reports I/O error and doesnt take any other
action.
2) Detect the error, stall bulk-in and report a command failed. As
sense data i return
usb-storage: -- code: 0xf0, key: 0x3, ASC: 0x11, ASCQ: 0x0
usb-storage: Medium Error: Unrecovered read error

It seems like the host should ignore the damaged logical block, but
that isnt done.