On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 10:10:57PM -0500, Brown, Len wrote:
> >Interrupt Disable bit was added via an
> >"Engineering Change Notice".  At the same time, an "Interrupt Status"
> >bit was defined for the Status register.
>
> I believe that this is for (new) devices that support MSI.

Hrm...that sounds like a good reason but I'm certain it didn't happen
at the same time. MSI was clearly added first as an ECN to PCI 2.2
and part of PCI 2.3 release (AFAIK).

>   While I'm
> certainly out on a limb in this area, the last time I inquired about
> MSI, nobody could point me to an adapter and driver in the field that
> actually worked -- so I think this bit is unlikely to help with the
> problem at hand.

We are starting to digress...but things look slightly better now.

MSI and MSI-X seems to work for infiniband (Mellanox chips).

I'm expecting 10GigE to support MSI-X properly (or perf will really stink).

I've posted a patch to enable MSI for tg3 to linux-net mailing list.
Even thought it worked for me, I was told bcm57xx chips have a bug in
the MSI implementation that causes it to assert IRQ line anyway.
I suppose that's a problem if the IRQ line is shared and
the other device can't do either MSI or MSI-X.

e1000 (Intel GigE) chips to date have disfunctional MSI.

I haven't investigated LSI ultra 320 cards or qlogic 2312 chips
though they both advertise the capability.

thanks,
grant