On Tue, 3 May 2005, Grégory SCHMITT wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a no-name USB mp3 player coming with 128 MB.
>
> Vendor: Winbond Electronics Corp. 0x0416
> Product: CT986 0xc986
>
> It works fine under windows: sometimes data corruption will occur, but
> that remains rare and reading/writing speed is decent.
>
> Pluging it the first time under linux didn't work at all. A lot of
> errors like "SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x10070000".
> Partition table wasn't recognized at all.
>
> It was natively not working with kernel 2.6.11, so I decided to hack
> the unusual_devs.h. I added those line:
>
> UNUSUAL_DEV(0x0416, 0xc986, 0x0100, 0x0100,
>           "Winbond Electronics Corp.",
>           "CT986",
>           US_SC_DEVICE,
>           US_PR_BULK,
>           NULL,
>           US_FL_IGNORE_RESIDUE | US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY | US_FL_NEED_OVERRIDE),
>
> All switches are required, device seems to accept only Bulk according
> to the Windows driver.

The switches are _not_ all required.  Instead of US_PR_BULK you should
have US_PR_DEVICE, and you should omit US_FL_NEED_OVERRIDE.

Also I doubt that US_FL_FIX_INQUIRY is needed.  To justify having it, you
should post usb-storage verbose debugging logs showing what happens when
you plug in the device, both with and without the FIX_INQUIRY flag
present.

> Adding those lines helped a lot: key is recognized correctly (sda1), and
> reading files is fine.
>
> However, writing always fails, with such error messages (tons of them):
>
>  SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x10070000
>  end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 400
>  Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 0
>
> (sector and logical block changing in each message).
>
> I tried to add the "sync" option in the fstab, and it wil copy files,
> but for no more than 2048 bytes.
>
> I tried to decrease the max_sectors to 8, helped only for littles
> files. Bigger files will be corrupted.
>
> I tried latest patch regarding ignoring residue for read and write
> operations, it somehow helped as all those error message are gone and
> files are copied without problem, but it is horribly slow (transfer
> rate around 20 kb/s at best), which makes mp3 transfers a real pain.
>
> Any idea ? Will 2.6.12 provide a solution ?

It sounds like the ignore-residue-for-writes patch fixed your problem.
The patch will be included in 2.6.12.  The reason for the your slow
transfers is probably that you are still using the "sync" option.