On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:32:10PM +0400, Roman Kagan wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:19:15AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > Here's an idea I had recently to improve the klist library; tell me what
> > you think.  As a space optimization, instead of storing a struct
> > completion in every klist_node, just put a wait_queue_header in struct
> > klist.  Under normal usage it's very rare to remove more than one
> > klist_node from a klist at any time, so false wakeups won't be a problem.
>
> I personally wouldn't care much about optimizations, especially minor,
> before correctness is well proven.  And as a matter of fact I'm yet to
> be convinced that klists, with their rather heavy and complex structure
> and non-intuitive semantics, provide any usability improvement over
> traditional lists.  Maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture...

Removal of the use of the big, huge, nasty subsystem-wide rw-semaphore
is the goal here.  klists solve that, and now, we can start doing the
other things that people have been wanting for a long time
(binding/unbinding from userspace, multi-threaded probing, creating new
devices from within a probe() call, etc.)

thanks,

greg k-h