Grant Grundler wrote:
On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 09:25:18PM -0400, John David Anglin wrote:

It seems that this problem has been around for some time.

I didn't check to see how long this code has been around.

It's in 2.6.10-pa3.  Since the USB mouse and keyboard work in it,
some other change must have been involved in the 2.6.12 breakage.

Yes, Kyle tracked it down to parisc switching from a parisc asm
definition of get_unaligned() to using the generic ones.
Ie we moved from avoiding kernel traps to exercising them.
But 64-bit kernel worked fine with USB.
And on 32-bit kernels le64() loads degenerate into two 32-bit
loads. Ie the trap handler is still only dealing with 32-bit
misaligned accesses like it would with this patch. So I don't
think the kernel trap support is the problem.

Regardless, the two functions are badly written and could
be alot clearer.

Thanks for feedback ;-)

That said, I also noticed a big difference of behaviour when I select or not
the CONFIG_PDC_STABLE option or not:
        o when selected my stress test make panicing my b2k in 5 min showing a
cash_grow() pb (as reported before)
        o when not selected the system hang as decribe by jda.

As an aside, 2.6.10-pa3 doesn't seem to have the stability problems
Interesting, I will check. Thanks

that I saw 2.6.11-pa4.  It pretty much seems as stable as 2.6.8.1-pa11
on my c3750.  There was hang in the java testsuite (PR218) in one of
two gcc builds and check.  Otherwise, the test results were identical.

Ok. Can you want to try the older version of include/asm-parisc/unaligned.h?

Interesting, I will too

USB keyboard and mouse work with 2.6.12-rc5 on parisc.

Great!

Well, I haven't committed it to cvs.parisc-linux.org.
I'm waiting for the USB guru's to comment.

Many thanks,
        Joel