On Fri, 10 Jun 2005, Pete Zaitcev wrote:

> Hi, All:
>
> I noticed (from reading usbmon traces) that we request string descriptors
> with size 255, which is odd (please pardon the pub), because a string
> descriptor consists of 16-bit characters and 2-byte header. Does anyone
> know if this length has any meaning or is it just a thinko?

There _was_ a reason for that length: to copy the behavior of Windows.
Retrieving string descriptors seems to be an area in which many devices
don't work too well; I thought it was best to use a request size the
manufacturers were certain to have tested.

There's nothing wrong with introducing the USB_DT_STRING_SIZE constant,
and I have no objection to adding a new call to usb_get_string with a
request size of 256.  But please don't remove the 255-byte call.  If you
like, add a comment explaining why it's there.