On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Dave North wrote:

> There is perhaps an excessive interest in the device. However, I
> applied the patch and have some results to report. But first a little
> organized background:
>
> This USB2 device, and all others, will initialize and mount on the back
> ports with kernel 2.6.x.x _every time_. No device, none, will mount
> under 2.6.x.x on the front port, which is attached to hub3 on the
> motherboard via a plug. All devices, including this one, will mount on
> the front port under 2.4.3x (at least). So I have no reason to believe
> the problem I'm seeing is device dependent.

Okay.  So that patch I sent was unnecessary.  I was fooled by the pattern
of error messages.  Forget about it.

Mounting is the least of your problems.  Those repeated errors and
failures during enumeration are more troubling.  Do they occur at all when
you run 2.4?  The log you posted had that portion cut out.

It appears that some aspect of the ehci-hcd driver in 2.6 causes it to be
more sensitive to signal distortions (caused by the longer cable
connecting to the front ports) than the driver in 2.4.  I have no idea
what could have changed to cause that.  Whatever the reason, once it's
fixed I would expect all your problems to go away, both enumeration and
mounting.

On the other hand, this implies that changes to usb-storage or to the hub
driver won't really help much.  Is this true?  That is, does enumeration
still give a large number of errors when you use Dave's patch?