On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Cristian Chiarello wrote:

> Hi Olav, I'm sorry to disturb you another time but I have
> another big problem.

Hi Cristian,

You sent your message also to linux-arm-kernel. Please don't
cross-post.

> About problem: sometimes the kernel crash when s1161_unlink_urb
> is running for unlink the second buffers's urb.

You haven't specified, which driver exactly you are using.

> I use pwc 9.0.1 and in pwc-if.c the functions pwc_isoc_cleanup
> call usb_unlink_urb(urb) functions, a pointer to
> s1161_unlink_urb.
> usb_unlink_urb(urb) is called for every MAX_ISO_BUFS defined in
> pwc.h (2).
> The first urb seem to unlink well, the second crash.
> The panic occours with 5 grab average :( and the kernel say to
> me:
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address
> 5a5a5a6a

Looks like you have enabled slab poisoning (Kernel
Hacking -> Debug Memory Allocations) in your kernel conf and
this has catched referencing uninitialized memory.

My guess is that at the first unlink some memory is freed
and at the second unlink, the same already freed memory is
referenced again. Try to find out, which line of code causes
this oops.

> The same thing occour with "setpwc" utility that only set some
> cam parameter.
> The same software on a PC work fine. My CPU is very slow and
> havn't got DMA :/
>
> Another bug that I think have fix is about cleanup of module:
> for turn off the isp1161 after grabbing, I unload the module
> every grab for energy saving. The kernel go to panic with
> average of 12 load/unload but frequency was very random.
> So I have swapped the two line as follow in hcd_1161_cleanup:
>       free_irq(irq,ohci);     /* Free interrupt line */
>       hc_release_1161(ohci);  /* release the 1161 hc */
> so if an irq occours, ohci it isn't free.
> After test, load/unload seems to work but kernel's panic
> average increase a lot (20 ok before mod.).

This panic on unloading may or may not be caused by the same
bug as the panic on unlinking above. You'll see, if you fix
the unlinking bug.

I really don't know the 2.4 kernel and its USB subsystem,
sorry.

You are using ancient kernel. Would you consider upgrading
the kernel on your system to 2.6, if you'd have the isp116x
driver with ISO support? Currently the driver in 2.6 doesn't
support ISO transfers, but I am considering adding that, if
there is interest. No promises though.

Olav