On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 11:10:19 -0500 (EST)
Alan Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Johannes Zweng wrote:
>
> > 1.) When I plug in the phone and it's using configuration 1 (AT
> > modem mode) "bNumConfigurations" reports 2 available
> > configurations, but AFTER SWITCHING to configuration 2 it only
> > reports one available configuration (via "bNumConfigurations").
>
> What exactly do you mean: via "bNumConfigurations"?  Do you mean that
>
> "lsusb -v" reports a different value?  Does the value in
> /proc/bus/usb/devices change?  What about the value in the sysfs
> file?   (Those last two should _not_ be able to change unless the
> phone  disconnects itself.)

I checked the value in /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-2/bNumConfigurations

And this value definitly changes to 1 after switching to configuartion
2 by doing "echo 2 > /sys/bus/usb/devices/4-2/bConfigurationValue".

So it's not possible to switch back to configuration 1 the same
way because the device claims to have only one configuration after the
change.

> > 2.) Also the device id of the device changes from "22b8:4902" to
> > "22b8:4902" when I change to configuration 2.
>
> Those two values are in fact the same.  I'll assume you meant one of
> them  to be different.
>
> Again, where do you determine these ID values?

Yes, this was a typo, sorry.
The device id changes from 22b8:4902 to 22b8:4901. I determined this
values via sysfs in "idVendor" and "idProduct". But "lsusb -v" also
reports these values.

To give you an idea what happens during the configuration switch, here
an extract of udevmonitor's output while switching to configuration 2:

UEVENT[1131897292]
remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.0
UEVENT[1131897292]
remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.1
UEVENT[1131897292]
remove@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2

UEVENT[1131897295]
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2
UEVENT[1131897295]
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.5
UEVENT[1131897295]
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.6
UEVENT[1131897295]
add@/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.2/usb4/4-2/4-2:1.8

> > So I just wanted to ask, if it's legal for an usb device to have a
> > configuration where the interfaces are not numbered beginning from
> > 0?
>
> No, it isn't.  Some manufacturers do it anyway.  Linux accepts such
> devices and will work with them, but prints out the warning messages
> you saw in the log.
>
> > I don't have much knowledge on usb specifications and I didn't find
> > some info about this in the usb specifications (until now).
>
> In the USB 2.0 spec, read the entry for bInterfaceNumber in Table
> 9-12.   See also the paragraph at the bottom of p. 244 (section
> 9.2.3).

Thanks, these are exactly the parts of the document I was searching
for.

So this means that the Motorola V3 is not completely USB 2.0 compliant.

Thanks for the infos so far,
johannes