On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 11:31 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Steve Bangert wrote:
>
> > Five days later the printer decides to stop working again, so here's a
> > trace when i insmod the printer driver ( printer inop.)
>
> You know, this suggests strongly that there's something funny going on
> with your printer.  After all, you've been running the same software for
> the last five days, right?

right

>  The only reason it should stop working now is
> if the printer has some weird internal problem.

keep in mind that i can reboot into XP and the printer works just fine,
consistently.

>  It's related to the
> drivers only in that they aren't able to convince the printer to start
> working again once it has stopped.

Would a "SOFT_RESET" convince the printer to start working?
check out sections 4.2 and 4.2.3 of the usb printer spec at:

http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/usbprint11.pdf

> > cf4f3800 3833320353 C Bi:004:02 0 10 = 0000000a 00007f00 0080
>
> > And here's a repost of a working printer when i insmod the printer
> > driver:

> > d3f6e500 3212296796 C Bi:003:02 0 0
>
> Everything was identical except the two lines shown above.  They show a
> status message sent back by the non-working printer,

so if a SOFT_RESET was implemented when this status message was received maybe
it could be cleared, and get the printer working again, does that sound
reasonable?

>  whereas the working
> printer sent an empty message.  I have no idea what the message means,
> though.  Nor do I know which program was responsible for issuing the read
> that provoked the message.  Do you have hal running on your system?

yes

> > I tried getting a usbmon trace while doing an insmod of uhci-hcd.ko but
> > there's a chicken and egg scenario, /sys/kernel/debug needs to be
> > mounted before a usbmon snapshot is taken, but it can't be mounted
> > unless uhci-hcd.ko is loaded first.
>
> Well, that's not _quite_ right.  You can mount /sys/kernel/debug any time
> you want, and you can modprobe usbmon which will add the .../mon
> subdirectory.  But the file you need to read won't exist until uhci-hcd is
> loaded.
>
> I suppose you could write a little shell script to read the debugging file
> in a loop.  When the file doesn't exist the read will fail immediately, so
> the script will loop and try again.  When the file does exist the read
> will succeed and just sit around until you kill it.  Then while the script
> is running you insmod uhci-hcd.ko.
>
> Other experiments you might try:  If the printer isn't working, see how it
> behaves when you do rmmod uhci-hcd followed by modprobe uhci-hcd.  Or
> leave the printer turned on while you boot, but keep the USB cable
> unplugged until the boot-up procedure is finished.

Still no printer output, seems the only think that gets it going is power
cycling the printer.

Steve