On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Sean Bruno wrote:

> Looking over the g_file_storage driver, it appears that I setup the
> dummy_hdc driver to process my device.  So, that is how I am able to see
> the 'mass storage' device on the local machine.

The dummy-hcd driver was intended for testing and development.  It's not
useful for much else in the real world, because it only simulates a USB
connection.  It doesn't allow you actually to connect your computer to
anything else.

> Here is a snippet from /var/log/messages.  I have changed the backing
> store to be a seperate disk, i.e. hdd1.

Yes, that's how dummy-hcd works.  In effect, it makes a single computer
behave like both a host and a peripheral.

> > > Now I want to turn one Linux PC into a Mass Storage device.  I just
> > > can't seem to figure out how to get the 2nd PC to see it on the USB bus.
> > > I assume that I am missing the obvious here.   :)
> > >
> > > So, here's my scenario.
> > >
> > > I have two PC's interconnected with a USB transfer cable(USB A to USB
> > > A): Prolific PL-2301/PL-2302.  Both machines have Intel Corporation
> > > 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 controllers.
> >
> > Isn't that basically a serial connection?  Or am I thinking of something
> > else?
>
> I think that it is a serial transfer 'thingy', i.e. the Prolific cable.
> It seems to be handled by a different driver now that I look at:
>
> Jan 30 16:13:58 custserver kernel: usb 3-1: new full speed USB device
> using uhci_hcd and address 2
> Jan 30 16:13:58 custserver kernel: usb 3-1: configuration #1 chosen from
> 1 choice
> Jan 30 16:13:58 custserver kernel: usb0: register 'plusb' at
> usb-0000:00:1d.3-1, Prolific PL-2301/PL-2302, d6:79:87:03:67:5e
> Jan 30 16:13:58 custserver kernel: usbcore: registered new driver plusb
>
> Would this cable even work to interconnect two PC's for the purposes of
> seeing the mass storage device?

No more than any other serial connection would.  If you want to
interconnect two PCs, you're probably better off using Ethernet.  Then you
could share mass storage devices via NFS or iSCSI, and you could do lots
more in addition (like remote login).

> Basically, I followed the g_file_storage how to that was on the
> linux-usb web site.
>
> Now I am attempting to extend that howto into mounting the
> g_file_storage mass storage device from another PC via a USB cable.
>
> So...Is this even possible with the ICH5 USB controller?

No.  USB hardware comes in two distinctly different flavors: host and
peripheral.  The USB host controller hardware on your PC is not capable of
acting as a USB peripheral.

If that's really what you want to do, you can buy USB device controller
hardware.  There are PCI cards you can install in a PC that will act as a
USB peripheral.  See the descriptions on the www.linux-usb.org site.